Ketika suatu saat saya merasa sangat gundah, sahabat saya mengingatkan tentang forgiveness. Saya diminta mempelajari konsep-konsep tentang forgiveness lewat browsing, untuk menemukan solusi atas permasalahan saya. Jawaban saya, I will, tapi tidak saya lakukan. Haha. Manusia, tempatnya salah dan malas. Tapi hari ini, tidak sengaja saya sampai ke situs tentang forgiveness, padahal yang saya cari bukan itu! Sampailah saya pada kalimat-kalimat ini yang saya kutip dari http://www.catherineblountfdn.org/forgiveness.html
The Top 10 Misconceptions about Forgiveness
1. Withholding forgiveness hurts the other person.
The truth is: Withholding forgiveness hurts yourself.
2. Forgiveness is a passive endeavor.
The truth is: Forgiveness is a very active endeavor, where you can ultimately reach out in love and compassion to the other person.
3. Forgiveness lets people off the hook, so they aren’t accountable to their actions.
The truth is: Forgiveness and accountability are not the same topic. You can have both. Forgive another by offering empathy and unity; yet still uphold the process of accountability within the social structure.
4. Forgiving someone tells that person that whatever he or she did was acceptable with you.
The truth is: Accepting their actions and accepting their true nature underneath it all are two very different things. You can make that clear.
5. Forgiveness is for the other person.
The truth is: Forgiving another is an act we do for ourselves, to free ourselves from the pain or bitterness.
6. When you are forgiving, you are “pardoning” someone’s bad behavior.
The truth is: There is no “pardoning,” just a clearer perception on who that other person truly is, and what they can still provide to your life, to a community and to a society.
7. Forgiveness is done by saying the words “I forgive you.”
The truth is: Forgiveness resides not only in words but also in thought, feeling and action.
8. Forgiving another person doesn’t do any good really.
The truth is: It not only uplifts you AND that person in ways unseen, but it brings that much more light to a world in need.
9. Forgiveness is only for religious people.
The truth is: It’s for all of us walking the planet.
10. It’s too hard to forgive.
The truth is: It can be hard, but not too hard, not when you have the right support and perspective.
Semoga sharing ini bermanfaat untuk yang lain.